The coronavirus has made its adjustments to the training of students. Universities were the first to switch to remote operations. Today it is already a new norm. We asked the students from different regions which advantages and disadvantages of remote study they notice. Regardless of the university and the course, students may want to buy term paper online.
Distance learning requires a lot of self-organization
Alicia, Finances and Economics
Among the advantages of distance learning, I would like to highlight the following: there is more free time, you can, for example, do coursework and prepare for the summer exams better. You can carefully study the lecture and practical material, devote more time to the subjects in which you are lagging. In addition, you do not need to get up at 7 am every day! In general, I began to devote more time to myself, my beloved ones. And, by the way, forced isolation to some extent brings together those who live in the dormitory. Suddenly there are people with whom you have a lot in common. It is also comfortable to watch video lectures.
Distance learning also has disadvantages, but, in my opinion, there are not so many of them. The system in which we work often breaks down. Most likely, this is due to large-scale registration. But I think this issue will be resolved shortly. It is also important that, in addition to the electronic platform offered by the university, there is some additional source of information that would help establish visual contact between the teacher and students. This is missing!
Yes, distance learning has pros and cons, but, in fact, now it’s like an extra vacation, so those who live far away have the opportunity to go to their relatives and spend time at home with their family.
Angela, Medicine student
– Distance learning for me is a whole test, as it requires self-organization. It is very difficult to tune in to productive work at home. Also, the volume of tasks has become much larger than it was before. If you do not get up early in the morning, but give yourself the time to sleep, then you do not have time to send all the tasks by the appointed time.
We do not have online lectures or any classes in online mode, we are simply sent a topic for independent study and tasks for knowledge control, we have to figure everything out on our own without explanations from the teacher.
I also really like just going to classes, I like the working environment itself, communication with classmates. It’s the second week of quarantine, and I already miss all this very much.
Stephen, Law student
– The main advantage of distance learning is that you study in a flexible model. Especially if there are no online lectures, and presentations of lectures are posted on the university platform or tests on a certain discipline are sent. You can listen to or read the given material at any convenient time. I am satisfied with this also because I get additional free time to search for the necessary information on topics important to my Course. Another advantage of the remote study is that those who do not like the hustle and bustle of the people can avoid it. And there are practically no expenses on the way to the university.
At the same time, there are also disadvantages. For example, the low speed of the home Internet. Not all video broadcasts can be viewed without problems. Sometimes there are jumps in the power supply, and then you have to turn on the laptop again, look for the right resource. Time is running out, and online communication becomes simply useless. I’m still studying remotely for a little while, but it already seems to me that not seeing the faces of fellow students, not hearing their reaction to your words, not entering into a dialogue with the teacher, is still sad.
Jenny, Pedagogical University
– For me, a huge advantage of distance learning is that I am at home. I have to travel several decades of kilometers to study, so now the problem of commuting has disappeared. I also consider it a huge plus that I can do my homework and, for example, drink tea at the computer monitor at the same time. However, when studying online, I have to follow a certain schedule and be at the screen necessarily. But these moments are not so frequent.
There are disadvantages to such a format of studying. For example, at a lecture, you can ask any question to the teacher, and they will help you. This possibility may not be available at a remote location. Even if they write you how and what to do, you can still get confused.
Another undoubted disadvantage is that there is a slow transmission of messages and sending tasks. Everyone’s Internet speed is different. Sometimes you have to wait for the completed task to finally go.
– It’s good that you now do the task at a convenient time, you can sleep, do something that you didn’t have enough time for studying. After all, we used to come home after five o’clock in the evening, do our homework, and there was not that much time left for ourselves. However, the difficulty I find is that some topics are incomprehensible, since you go through them yourself, and if you are not a born mathematician and chemist, then certain difficulties arise.
Victoria, Pedagogical State University
– In a sense, our course was lucky. When everyone was forced to switch to distance learning, we were almost done with lectures and seminars. The session was supposed to start on April 1.
Therefore, now we are calmly completing projects, completing homework, sending it to teachers and doing theses, and preparing for state exams. True, guys from junior courses often complain that there is even less free time, and because of the constant presence at the computer, their eyes hurt.
On the other hand, we will also take tests and exams remotely – the special educational platform of our university allows us to do this. But because it is rarely used at our faculty, even teachers understand the settings for a long time. In addition, the site is very heavy and takes a long time to load. I don’t know if everything will be successful, but I hope so. After all, this is our last exam as bachelors, it has a special meaning. And, frankly, it’s sad without the laughter and stories of classmates. In four years we became friends and learned to understand each other, grew up. Without them, sometimes it feels like it’s already over, and I didn’t notice and missed graduation.
Anna, Polytechnic University
– To be honest, remote training does not bother me. There are advantages and disadvantages everywhere. If we talk about what does not suit me, then the most obvious problem is the absence of a teacher. If earlier the teacher explained topics in detail, now they just send us texts. And … read it yourself, understand it yourself, as you want, and do not forget to complete the tasks.
At the same time, tasks can be performed when you want, you don’t need to go anywhere, and most importantly, you can sleep longer in the morning!